RE: Project DELTA

Hi Alan,

Glad to hear you are doing well. You'll be happy to hear that we have located
about 40 of our fellow Deltoids! If you're interested, there is a quite active
mailing list for exchanging stories of the good old days, etc. Visit http://www.mcws.net/deltoids.html
or send a message to deltoids-request@mcws.net with "subscribe deltoids" in the
message text to get on the list. Also, if you want to "catch up" on all the
great stories, the list is being dynamically archived and indexed at http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mader/d
elta.

As I said, we've gotten in touch with many Deltoids and have gathered quite a
number of nice stories about those good old days. Teresa Green is still alive
and well, retired in the Wilmington area. She was able to help fill in the
history of the founding of Delta and the early years. It's really amazing what
Delta was able to do at that time. The notion that somebody would fund this
really expensive computer system and then let a bunch of high school kids loose
on the thing. Teresa Green pushed hard to make sure that Delta would be run by
the students (a radical view both then and now).

Also have a lengthy unofficial history of the final years from Alan Flippen
(now working for the NY Times). His story and a few others tell of the more
mischievous side that many Deltoids remember fondly. There are several stories
of how "so and so" breached system security and a week later, was made a
privileged staff member. What an experience. But it's amazing to see how that
environment led to the many successful and happy lives of all the Deltoids I
have heard from. I think most of us have finally grown up!

Anyway, I'll have it all compiled in the Delta web site soon. Hopefully, we'll
be able to recover some actual files from that time. Remember all those GRIPES
and MESSAG.TXT's. And how about the ASCII art library?

As for me, I'm married but no little tax deductions (only 4 cats). Living in
Philadelphia. Been working at Digital for almost 10 years now. Doing mostly
Unix consulting for various clients. Should be interesting when we get bought
by Compaq, but I'm not worried. Other hobbies: ham radio, home brewed beer, and
keeping the 150 year old house in shape.

Regards for now...

Bob