Re: Hey! A live one!

Bob & Cecelia wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for the corresponding with Cecelia on the Delta Project. The
> response to our spamming initiative has had me quite overwhelmed. Then
> I had to fly off to New Mexico to set up a server.

I enjoyed talking with her!

> I've gotten in touch with many Deltoids and have gathered quite a
> number of nice stories about those good old days. Teresa Green is still
> alive and well... She was able to help fill in the
> history of the founding of Delta and the early years. It's really
> amazing what Delta was able to do at that time. The notion that
> somebody would fund this really expensive computer system and then let
> a bunch of high school kids loose on the thing. Teresa Green pushed
> hard to make sure that Delta would be run by the students (a radical
> view both then and now).

Interesting.  It will be great to see all the information together.

> Also have that lengthy unofficial history of the final years from Alan
> Flippen (now working for the NY Times). His story and a few others tell
> of the more mischievous side that many Deltoids remember fondly. There
> are several stories of how "so and so" breached system security and a
> week later, was made a privileged staff member. What an experience. But
> it's amazing to see how that environment led to the many successful and
> happy lives of all the Deltoids I have heard from. I think most of us
> have finally grown up!

I read the history that Alan wrote.  It would be great to talk his history
and add all the other information you get from everyone else to great the
"Official Deltoids History of Delta".

> Anyway, I'll have it all compiled in the Delta web site soon. It'd be
> really great if we were able to recover some actual files from that
> time. Remember all those GRIPES and MESSAG.TXT's. And how about the
> ASCII art library?

I am going to look in the Attic and see what I have.

> I appreciate the offer to host it at your place, but I already have
> accommodations at the U of D EE dept. However, I think it would be nice
> to set up a mailing list. If you could set one up, it would probably
> really help jog some memories and hopefully we can get some nice
> stories. I think Cecelia sent you all the addresses we have at this
> point.

No problem on the site.  Just remember that if you have any problems at
UodD, I can create a delta.mcws.net or whatever in about 5 minutes.   I
have already setup the mailing list and have it running.  I set it up with
archives that update nightly.  This will allow us to retreive previous
messages that people leave.  I have also written an interface to it via
web.  You can call it from your site using
http://www.mcws.net/deltoids.html

I have subscribed you to the list.  Please look at the intro and info
messages and let me know what changes you want.  You can just send them in
an email to me and I will update the intro and info information.  You can
requested the info from the the form at http://www.mcws.net/deltoids.html.
Please let me know the home address of the Delta site so I can have a link
back to it from the form.

I have also created an address on mcws.net for the mailing list called
deltoids@mcws.net  This address will forward the mail to all the people in
the list, and retain the address in the from field.  I have also greated an
addresses called delta@mcws.net.  This address will forward all mail to
your address and retain the to address field so you know where the mail is
coming from.  This is used for people with questions on the mailing list,
but you can use it anything you want.

Please send me the newest list of addresses and I will add them all the new
mailing list server.  I will then send a message to everyone on how to be
removed if they do not want to be on it.

Jim

> As for me, I'm married but no kids (4 cats). Living in Philadelphia.
> Been working at Digital for almost 10 years now. Doing mostly Unix
> consulting for various clients. Should be interesting when we get
> bought by Compaq, but I'm not worried. Other hobbies: ham radio, home
> brewed beer, and keeping the 100 year old house in shape.

Sounds like a lot of fun.  I am spending most of my time dealing with my
11yr old and her 1,100lb baby.  That is expensive enough!  My call is
kd4zot.