Re: paper tapes: B-5500 CANDE Extended ALGOL program

>What do you need to know about sendmail?  that is what I run on mcws.net

What I'd like to be able to do is send e-mail to an address like
delta-1.47@mcws.net.
The 1.47 would map into [1,47] and sendmail would direct incoming mail to a
C program running under the "delta" ID.  I think sendmail is able to do this
kind of thing, but I have never tried to configure it.  I once thought about
buying the O'Reilly book on Sendmail, but then decided I'd rather not
pollute my mind with that stuff.

What I really need to figure out is how to send and receive mail
programatically from a C program.  Sending mail may be as simple as execing
the "mail" command and re-directing the standard input, and receiving mail
could probably be done by periodically looking in the "/usr/mail/delta" (or
wherever it's stored) directory.  But, if there is an easier way with
sendmail, I'd like to use that.

If we don't use sendmail, then we'd probably have to address the mail to
delta@mcws.net and put something in the Subject line like "TO [1,47]", sort
of like they do with subscribing  to the mail-lists.

Bob's idea of using named pipes is another possibility.  It might be easier
though to just FTP to real files stored on disk.  The setup would be easier,
and wouldn't require working from two windows.

What does everyone think?  Any preferences from a user interface
perspective?

Gary