Re: 11/xx running unix down the hall from 203

Yeah, I remember the machine Rich mentioned; I recall being quite surprised
to hear that there was an 11 operating in Willard, given that our machine
had been ordered into UDCC.

But I think UDCC had an 11/70 running Unix as well, right? I know I tried to
fool around with UNIX once or twice, and I don't think it was on the little
machine in Willard. In any case, I'm not sure I would have guessed from that
experience that RSTS would become a fossil while UNIX would make a bid to
take over the world (would any of you have?)

Meanwhile, I do think an important part of the experience was lost when the
machinery was sequestered away in UDCC. Efficient use of disk space meant a
lot more when you could see the thing thumping away like a washing machine.
But God knows how much additional havoc could have been caused if all of the
"flies" could actually touch the machine.

And, yes, Kendall, I've forgiven you too. Like Rich, I've been called a lot
worse things since. I've even been called a journalist ...

Cheers,
Alan